What is an HR functions list?
An HR functions list is a guide that defines the five core responsibilities of HR professionals, summarizes their priorities, and clarifies their mission.
An HR functions list:
- Defines the HR department’s role in the workplace
- Promotes positive collaboration between HR professionals
- Aligns HR’s objectives with the company mission
Why would we need an HR functions list?
HR professionals facilitate the behind-the-scenes preparations, setting the stage for employees to perform high-quality work. HR staff fills a variety of dynamic roles that demand different skills. Consolidating the HR functions into a list can encourage HR professionals to focus on their collective workplace purpose, especially amidst the continuous tech innovations challenging the status quo.
An HR functions list can:
- Boost productivity and performance
- Promote internal HR teamwork
- Guide HR professionals towards achieving company goals
What are the different HR functions?
HR is responsible for structuring a competent workforce and nurturing a healthy company culture to give their company a competitive edge. The following core HR functions contribute towards an engaged workforce and a well-operating company:
- Recruiting. A subcategory of talent acquisition, recruiting encompasses sourcing, interviewing, and hiring employees. To enable an effective recruiting process, HR professionals need to implement workforce planning, so they can prepare to fit candidates to the appropriate vacant positions.
- Training and Development. Through investing time and finances into employees’ personal and career development, HR provides a platform for them to transform into more valuable company assets. Facilitating job-specific training and instruction on effective work habits encourages employees to grow. Moreover, offering development programs can reveal budding leaders, and uncover employees’ strengths and weaknesses.
- HR management. Human Resource Management is the strategic method of promoting employee engagement and productivity to support an organization’s success. Through offering training, coaching, practical tools, and legal and administrative services, the HR department helps employees effectively contribute to the company.
- Talent and Performance. HR professionals can help raise employees’ work performances by engaging and involving them in the performance review process. Nurturing a positive company culture, implementing a continuous performance review system, and encouraging multi-directional feedback empowers employees and spurs them to improve performance.
- Compensation and Benefits. HR professionals and compensation managers can collaborate to develop a compensation package that offers a competitive, budget-friendly reward. Providing employees with a handsome paycheck and additional, attractive benefits is a fundamental component of revving up employee motivation.
Recommended For Further Reading
How can an HR functions list improve company culture?
The core functions of HR are interdependent. Assembling these functions into a list helps HR personnel focus on these essential, correlated goals. The HR functions list renders a holistic perspective on the HR disciplines, helping HR professionals progress on their career paths, fulfill their responsibilities, and simultaneously support employees to build a robust company culture.