COVID-19 workplace policy emphasizes cleanliness, hygiene, health, and social distancing and aim to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in shared office settings.
COVID-19 workplace policy is based upon standard recommendations established by each country. The U.S. and U.K. guidelines promote personal hygiene and social distancing in the workplace and remind employees to monitor their health before arriving at work. The workplace rules encourage employees to:
- Wash hands regularly
- Wear a protective mask over the nose and mouth
- Wear disposable gloves when in a public area
- Follow recommendations for social distancing
- Check temperature before going to work
Why should HR leaders care about COVID-19 workplace policy?
The COVID-19 workplace policies help prevent employees from passing the virus to each other within the workplace. HR leaders can help promote a safer work environment by incorporating these guidelines.
What can HR leaders do to ensure a successful implementation of COVID-19 workplace policy?
It takes time, planning, and a detail-oriented approach to incorporate the suggested COVID-19 workplace rules. Here are some helpful ways to get employees on board with the workplace guidelines:
- Update employees. Inform all employees about the workplace rules through video chat meetings, email, and posting infographic flyers throughout the office to remind employees of the policies.
- Allow flexible hours for employees. Offer employees the option to work from home more often to decrease human interaction in the workplace. If employees need to hold a meeting with a large group of people, conduct it over video chat.
- Respect employee privacy. If an employee does contract coronavirus, it’s important to respect their privacy and protect their identity.
- Encourage employees to stay home if they are sick. Let ill employees take enough time off from work to heal 100% before returning to the workplace. Employees should be fever-free for 72 hours before returning to work.
- Provide protective gear. It’s easy to forget to bring a mask and latex gloves to work. Equip the office with these items for ease of use.
- Promote employee well-being. Self-care is an excellent way to improve employee health and overall wellness in the workplace. Encourage employees to express gratitude in the workplace, exercise regularly, and spend quality time in nature.
How can COVID-19 workplace policy affect company culture?
It’s challenging for employees to adapt to the COVID-19 workplace policy without feeling some fear or panic. Though the rules may cause increased stress in the workplace, employees must treat each other with kindness and generosity to ensure a healthy company culture. During this period, everyone in the office has to adhere to the same workplace rules, so it’s a unique opportunity to rise to the occasion: build camaraderie, and display a company culture that is resilient, positive, and composed of compassionate individuals.