Choose the right HRIS for your needs
Change is at the forefront of every company today. As HR leaders, you’re at the epi-center of this transformation as you deal with a post-pandemic workforce demanding a new world of work.
You need to balance traditional business processes (compensation, performance management, payroll) with new employee experiences (culture, communications, comradery) and connect everything to a global workforce working remotely, hybrid, or in-office.
That’s where modern HR tech (HRIS) comes in. Today’s best possible platforms will boost traditional core HR functionality with automation and efficiency while keeping everyone in mind—HR, managers, and employees.
But not all HR tech is built the same. This guide contains the main topics you should consider when choosing your HRIS, and questions to ask for each topic. Use the topics to align your strategy and the questions to find the right HR platform before you buy. You want the best HRIS for your needs today, tomorrow, and for the future of your work and business.
When comparing HRIS solutions, ask these questions to discover which HRIS best fits your business.
1. Can the HRIS streamline your core HR processes?
In dynamic companies, core HR tasks need to be efficient and pain-free to save precious time and minimize employee frustration.
In many companies, onboarding and time management can be time-consuming and repetitive. A good HRIS should automate and expedite core tasks that take HR away from bigger impact programs.
Check if the HRIS will be able to streamline all your core HR processes by answering these questions:
- Does it offer HR KPIs and talent analytics?
- Does each employee have a social-media style personal profile?
- Does each employee have a timeline of their company history and achievements?
- Is there a dynamic people directory for grouping and sorting people by expertise, hobbies, and more?
- Is there a native tool or application for assisting with managing employee compensation and payroll?
2. Can the HRIS maximize your employee experience?
The role of HR is no longer about headcount and managing human capital. HR leaders need to build a company culture that engages and retains employees and fosters relationships and commitment in today’s employment landscape.
Check if the HRIS will maximize your employee experience by answering these questions:
- Does the UX have an engaging social media look and feel?
- Can you customize the onboarding workflow?
- Can you give public recognition to employees?
- Does it give you a holistic and historical view of peoples’ activities?
- Does it offer hobby groups and clubs to help people build social connections?
- Does it include an anonymous reporting tool for employees to voice their concerns?
3. Can the HRIS solve your unique business needs at scale?
No two businesses are alike, and your unique culture needs flexible HR technology to help solve the challenges you’ll face as your company grows and changes. Many HRIS solutions are rigid or offer limited flexibility that cannot sustain company growth or scale over time.
Check if the HRIS will be able to solve your unique business needs at scale by answering these questions:
- Is its core HR functionality customizable to your needs now and in the future?
- Can it scale with your business to handle hundreds or thousands of employees?
- Does it offer specific news feeds for each office and country?
- Does it support the use of multiple calendars with local national and religious holidays?
- Can you schedule the production of daily, weekly, or monthly customizable reports?
- Can it securely store confidential personal information and let you quickly find it?
- Are there professional services to customize, implement and launch the platform for all to use?
Say Hi to modern HR that
Scales HR globally
4. Does the HRIS empower managers and employees to be more productive and engaged?
When remote and hybrid work became the new normal, employee empowerment became an operational imperative for HR teams. Employees needed to become autonomous and work on their own time and tasks, while managers needed to connect and engage with their teams to promote collaboration and discussions. The right HR platform should facilitate productivity and engagement between HR, managers, and employees, no matter where they are located.
Check if the HRIS empowers managers and employees with productivity and collaboration tools by answering these questions:
- Can employees get information about the work status and location of colleagues and peers?
- Do employees have a place to go to feel connected to company goals, take part in the culture, and see that their work matters?
- Do managers have access to 1:1 meeting templates that ease the burden of routine processes like onboarding, career growth, and performance reviews?
- Can managers set up departmental goals for their team members that link to company KPIs?
- Do managers have timely information and reports about their team’s time-off status?
- Do managers have attrition indicators to gauge and understand the turnover risk of their direct reports?
5. Does the HRIS increase productivity and ease collaboration?
The world of work has completely changed. Companies of all sizes are more distributed than ever, with many employees working at home, remotely, or in a hybrid work model. A good HR platform needs to help companies overcome disconnected teams that affect company culture, make people feel isolated, and hinder productivity and collaboration.
Check if the HRIS will be able to increase productivity and ease collaboration by answering these questions:
- Does it offer a native mobile app with the functionality most frequently used by employees and managers?
- Can it smooth the recruit-to-hire process with integrations or support for the top ATS solutions?
- Does it offer native integrations with Slack and MS teams?
- Does it offer native integrations with the top five ATS solutions?
- Does it integrate with Zapier?
- Does it have an open API for customer development?
6. Can the HRIS help grow your global, modern organization?
In today’s world of work, business opportunities and talent are often located across multiple offices and locations worldwide. Global expansion is one of the keys to business success, however, it can be overwhelming for HR leaders to manage. There needs to be a way to handle different holidays, abiding by local laws, time zones, and communicating effectively with a more diverse workforce.
Check if the HRIS can help you grow your global, modern organization by answering these questions:
- Does it offer holiday calendars and time-off policies for multiple countries?
- Can you easily navigate across multiple time zones?
- Does it offer specific news feeds for each office and country?
- Can it be customized for local best practices or customs?
- Is tech support available at least 16 hours a day, six days a week?
- Can you engage with both in-office and remote employees?
- Does it support hybrid work policies?
Why choose HiBob over other HRIS solutions?
When comparing Bob to any other HR platform, it’s clear that Bob is the right choice for dynamic and fast-growing companies. Here’s why.
Bob is core HR and so much more. With Bob’s wide range of core functionality, you have everything you need for productivity, engagement, and retention.
- Grow your offices and people globally with the agility and configurability that adapts quickly to the changes you face daily
- Streamline processes like payroll and performance reviews making sure everything is running smoothly while saving time and money
- Find all documents in one place while managing the entire process including signatures and approvals
- Prove that what you are doing works, or make strategic changes with insights and reports based on people data
- Make onboarding a piece of cake with templates and customizable workflows to match roles and regions
- Tap into all your HR tech with multiple integrations with leading third-party tools to make administrative tasks easier for everyone across the organization
Bob’s culture tools connect employees and managers worldwide, creating a great experience—wherever your people are.
- Designed for everyone in the company—managers, employees, HR teams
- Enjoy the comradery as everyone in the company uses the social media like interface to update profiles, join clubs, and give recognition
- Let everyone be the first to know by delivering communications directly in the company apps like Slack and more
- Create a welcoming environment with new hires by introducing the company org chart, values, and more even before the first day of work
- Never miss a milestone by creating workflows around major moments like anniversaries, lifecycle stages, and more
- Customize touchpoints around roles, regions, and responsibilities building personalized experiences around their perspectives
- Appreciate employees at the moment with kudos and shoutouts that motivate and empower productivity and innovation