So today we launch and of course I find myself doing last minute tweaks to our new shiny new website before it goes live, and I hate what I’ve written in our About Us section. OMG I can write some bollocks when I want to, and I don’t notice until I read it again later.
So I just sat down and rewrote this:
Who is ‘us’? We are 40 people who love technology, love building technology and, most of all, love building technology to change things for the better.
We saw a huge opportunity to use technology to sort the management of people, and we saw most businesses still using spreadsheets (which, let’s face it, is 20 year old technology).
We saw loads of businesses struggling to administer employee benefits (particularly pensions auto-enrolment), and having little or no relationship (or trust) with those who were sorting it for them. And we looked at existing software that looked like it should have died in the 80’s, which nobody has any relationship with or love for.
Human Resources just didn’t feel very human and from a technology perspective felt pretty unloved.
So we we asked some simple questions and set about answering them:
- Could we put everything in one place and not 10 spreadsheets?
- Could we integrate HR and Benefits (seems obvious right)?
- Could we use your existing data to sort your auto-enrolment needs?
- Could we get new staff to enter all their details (once) and do it before they even join?
- Could we help define and shape the natural cultures that exist in a business?
- Could we help an apprehensive Mum of two kids, going back to work for the first time in 5 years, feel like she’s walking into a room full of friends on day one?
- Could we help retain staff by making sure they understand and engage with their benefits, rather than forget them after their first week?
- Could we create a brand that people would love? That CEOs believe help their business grow. That CFOs know saves them time and money. That gives HR teams back a huge amount of their time and helps staff feel closer to their business and stay for longer!
Or in other words we simply wanted to Sort All The People Stuff for smart modern businesses that love their people.
And today we start sorting.
Please wish us well and, of course, if you company needs a good sort-out on the People Management side of things then click here: www.hibob.com.
From Andy Bellass
Andy Bellass is Co-Founder and CMO at hibob, and has more than 25 years of experience in strategic brand building. He has helped define, shape and launch some of the world’s biggest and most innovative brands, including the likes of Coca-Cola and Spotify. He’s a former Partner and Chief Strategy Officer at Splendid Communications, Strategy Director at creative hotshop Mother and prior to setting up hibob, Andy spent several years advising VCs and startups in Silicon Valley and Israel. He lives in London with his wife, two children and eight bikes. Read more from Andy Bellass here.